Tata Docomo 3G Complete Guide
Tata Docomo launched their 3G services in India this Diwali. They have been pretty active online at Twitter and Facebook but this time they have not yet clearly mentioned about the activation of the 3G in this promotional period (i.e. 5th November to 11th Novemeber). I have been using 3G for almost 3 days now and here are some of the pros and cons of their service I have noted so far and also the complete procedure on how to activate Tata Docomo 3G.
How to activate 3G on Tata Docomo?
Tata Docomo is providing a free trial of 3G for 7 days to all its customers uptill 100mb usage. Here is how to get is activated on your phone:
- Make sure you have a 3G compatible phone.
- Goto the network menu on your phone and activate “Dual mode” or ”UMTS” under Network Modes.
- Doing so you will be able to see the 3G or 3.5G sign near the signal bar of your phone within a few seconds. If you don’t see any such sign then it might that 3G is not available in your area.
- Next you have to send a sms by writing ACT3G to 53333. You may or may not receive any reply, most of us didn’t.
- You probably will be having the old Tata Docomo settings in your phone, if not then call the service number and request it. There are two settings delivered to your phone – “TATA DOCOMO INTERNET” & “TATA DOCOMO DIVE-IN”.
- You have to use the TATA DOCOMO INTERNET as your default setting for using the 3G service and you are now all set to go. Just start using make sure that your balance is not being reduced, if it is then you may not have configured 3G properly as per the above steps.
- Live TV is available at the Dive-In site.
Pro’s & Con’s
- Nearly ~1.75mbps download speed.
- Working in all area’s of the cities where they have launched.
- Free usage uptill 100mb in the trial period.
- 2G vouchers can be purchased and used with 3G speeds under trial period. (You can get upto 6GB data for just Rs. 95, depending on your city.)
- Low upload speed.
- You have to finish the free 100mb data within the promotional period.
- Currently there is no way to check how much bandwidth you have used. They are working on this.
- Tata is having no plans to launch Unlimited Tariff’s.
- TataDocomo’s twitter stream has a bunch of tweets indicating 3G is gonna be a premium service so do not expect low rates anytime this year. They don’t want torrent guys to flood out their networks.
- Tata’s Network Range is fair but many users are facing frequent disconnections while on voice calls.
- Video Calls are not working yet.
Overall Tata Docomo is offering a nice package but they surely have to improve their network over the time. 3G Download speed are good but uploading in some area’s are low. You can enjoy some free 3G bandwidth on your Tata Docomo number for now and hope that Tata launches some affordable plans. What are your views and how much speed are you getting, do share in comments below.
|This entry was posted by Ankit Duseja on November 7, 2010 at 3:34 am, and is filed under India, Telecom Operators. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.|
No trackbacks yet.
about 3 years ago - 1 comment
Indian Government has just released the results of 3G auction. Here is a pictorial representation of winners sector wise. Click to Enlarge.
about 3 years ago - 3 comments
PayPal is a great service to make and receive payments worldwide. But it has been recently facing many problems with Indian RBI rules and regulations. Unverified PayPal accounts have some transfer and withdrawal limits. India Banks being recently hit by the worldwide recession have stopped offering new credit cards to customers, thus some fresher’s in More >
about 3 years ago - 1 comment
HTC and Sprint has a announced a new beast of smartphone’s – The HTC EVO 4G. An android powered phone topped with delicious HTC Sense UI, a 8MP back Camera, 1.3MP front camera. The phone has the biggest battery available in any smartphone yet, and the core beats on 1Ghz Snapdragon processor (the same which More >
about 3 years ago - 2 comments
Indian Telecoms keep struggling a lot to beat each other. Bharti Airtel has announced to double the speed of all current broadband customer by the end of July 2010. Users wont have to pay any extra amount and this upgrade will be available for free. According to Mr. K. Srinivas, Joint President-Telemedia Services, Bharti Airtel: More >
about 3 years ago - 9 comments
India and some other countries users might be wondering where has the Yahoo Call button disappeared. Well in some countries government has restricted usage of VOIP and to secure itself, Yahoo has taken measures to disable PC-to-PC calls in these region by disabling calling features in local version of Yahoo Messenger. However this limitation can be easily by-passed using a More >
about 4 years ago - 1 comment
It has been a long break, and during this time I attended the Blog Conference held by Amit Agarwal at Agra last week. The event was sponsored by Google. Amit had two sessions – One for the beginners and the other for those who are already having a blog. He shared some tips which he More >